BiographyMick Moloney is a Partner at Oliver Wyman based in New York where he is a member of the insurance practice. He spends his time working with insurers and asset managers on a range of strategic and execution topics, focusing in particular on the institutional markets and retirement topics.
Mick’s work has covered all aspects of design, implementation and investment for retirement programs across a range of global geographies. In recent years he has worked extensively on issues at the intersection of pension, insurance and financial markets for corporate plan sponsors, insurers, asset managers and financial intermediaries.
Recent engagements include:
– Working with a large US insurer to develop a strategy to become a leader in the US At Retirement (55 – 70) marketplace
– Helping an insurer to design and build a multi-channel, direct-to-consumer digital platform
– Working with a leading US insurer to formulate a cross business unit growth strategy based on several underlying themes including individual and corporate demographic changes, digital, data and analytics and emerging opportunities in institutional asset markets
– Working with a large European insurer to develop a market entry strategy for the US pension closeout market
– Leading the Oliver Wyman team that advised on GM’s 2012 $26B annuitization transaction and Verizon’s $7.5B annuitization
Mick has more than 22 years of experience in financial services. Prior to joining Oliver Wyman, Mick spent 15 years at Mercer where he was a Senior Partner and global head of the firm’s Financial Strategy Group (FSG)–the team that leads on risk advisory work for large clients. In addition, he served as a member of Mercer Investment Consulting’s Global, US and European Operating Committees and the European Operating Committee for the firm’s Retirement, Risk and Finance business.
Mick has been based in New York since 2009, prior to which he was based in Europe.
He is a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries in the United Kingdom, a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries in Ireland, an Associate of the United States Society of Actuaries and has an Executive MBA from the Smurfit Business School, University College Dublin.