Essentials of Profitable Wholesale Distribution©, Second Edition
- *Quantity discounts:
- 2-15 items: 15%
- 16-30 items: 20%
- 31-100 items: 30%
- 101-250 items: 40%
- 251+ items: 50%
Every chapter includes a comprehensive quiz, and there’s a thorough glossary of distribution terms and a detailed index in the back of this 190-page workbook.
Making money in the wholesale distribution business gets tougher every year. When you add the current economic climate to the equation, making money can be downright grueling in many sectors of the market!
More aggressive competition, expanded product lines, tighter profit margins, and more demanding customers require distributors to work longer, faster, and smarter to survive and remain profitable. Running a successful company requires cooperative efforts from knowledgeable and motivated employees. How can you ensure that your employees are aligned with your goals for high performance and profitability? You give them this #1 training workbook by Jim Olsztynski to speed their learning and retention.
Read Extended Description »
What Readers Have to Say
- "This book can be used as a solid foundation for employee training programs on how to keep a healthy bottom line in the wholesale distribution business. I would encourage anyone in this business to not only read this book but to make it mandatory that each employee—no matter what their position is in your company—read it as well."
- — Hank Turner, President/CEO, Empire Machinery & Supply
- "An absolute must for wholesalers who want their employees to understand the nature of the business and key concepts like margin, markup, the need for profit, and great customer service."
- — Colin Perry, President, Rampart P&H Supply
Write a review »
Prerequisite reading at many distribution companies, Essentials of Profitable Wholesale Distribution©, Second Edition provides a straightforward and clear understanding of how the wholesale distribution business works. Your team will learn the basics of distribution economics, customer service, sales, and marketing. This book will make your team smarter—a lot smarter. This is the perfect training tool to speed learning and retention for everyone on your staff!
In 11 chapters, Essentials of Profitable Wholesale Distribution© covers all the basics of wholesale distribution, including how wholesaler-distributors make money. Topics include:
- The role of wholesaler-distributors
- Value-added functions
- Channels of distribution
- Gross profit, gross margin, mark-up
- Methods to increase profits
- Basic financial statements
- Cash flow and liquidity
- Importance of gross margin dollars
- Customer service and satisfaction
- Internal and external customers
- How an extra 1% boosts returns
- Strategies to increase professionalism.
This book contains 11 end-of-chapter self-correcting quizzes, a glossary of common wholesale distribution terms, and a final comprehensive self-test review to speed learning and retention.
About the Author
Jim Olsztynskiinfo page
Jim has been covering the industry as a trade journalist since 1977. He has written hundreds of major feature articles and more than 1,000 news stories and commentaries about industry affairs.
Why NAW Institute Publications Are Different
NAW Institute for Distribution Excellence conducts research into strategic management issues affecting the wholesale distribution industry. Our research is conducted with best practice wholesaler-distributors, and we publish leading-edge research studies with practical application for wholesale distribution firms of all sizes and across all lines of trade.
Order Softcover Books or E-Books!
- 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Branch Manager, Second Edition Find out more »
- Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors: What’s the Right Plan? Find out more »
- Facing the Forces of Change®: Decisive Actions for an Uncertain Economy Find out more »
- In Search of the Perfect Customer: Cost-to-Serve for Distributors Find out more »
- Taking Charge of Distribution Sales: 9 Proven Skills to Lead and Manage Your Sales Team Find out more »