5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Sales Manager
Tim Horan, Steve Deist
- *Quantity discounts:
- 2-15 items: 15%
- 16-30 items: 20%
- 31-100 items: 30%
- 101-250 items: 40%
- 251+ items: 50%
During good years, sales come easy. Today, however, times are still challenging. Learn successful sales strategies employed by distributors who know how to put lead on the target in challenging times.
This book, by Tim Horan and Steve Deist, offers a practical but powerful approach for taking your sales force to the next level. It includes key concepts, practical ideas, and real-world stories taken from the front lines of wholesale distribution. This book will give you the essential leadership skills to keep your career and your business moving ahead and performing at higher levels.
Save 15% when you order together with these other best sellers from the authors at Indian River Consulting Group: Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors: What’s the Right Plan?, What's Your Plan? Smart Salesforce Compensation in Wholesale Distribution, Working at Cross-Purposes: How Distributors and Manufacturers Can Manage Conflict Successfully and Value Creation Strategies for Wholesaler-Distributors.
Read Extended Description »
What Readers Have to Say
- "5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Sales Manager is a great tool to recalibrate your focus on effective sales management fundamentals and helps you identify and change the many management bad habits sales managers may fall into."
- — Tim Fries, Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Wiseway Supply
- "We are asking the branch managers who have the 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Branch Manager book to now read and use the new 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Sales Manager book. It provides examples of prehire interviews from the most basic to advanced guidelines. Already, it has challenged me to determine our values at this branch. If we expand our sales management positions in the future, this book will be invaluable to people in their new positions."
- — Clair Zirnhelt, Branch Manager, Dakota Supply Group
- "In my current position as well as when I was general sales manager, the biggest challenge has been to find meaningful sales management training and development information that is specifically written for the distributor sales manager. This book fills that need by providing excellent, practical guidelines."
- — Gail Wirz, Director of Training, Badger Liquor
- "I have been a distributor sales manager for more than 20 years, and this is the first book that talks to our unique challenges. It combines great concepts with practical examples as it tells you what it takes to be an effective distributor sales manager. I wish I had this book 20 years ago!"
- — John Strand, Prior Wine Division Manager, Griggs, Cooper & Company
- "There are few positions in management that are more challenging than the distributor sales manager. Sales reps, bosses, customers, and suppliers are all pulling in different directions. 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Sales Manager sorts these out, so that the sales manager can focus on what is really importantóimproving sales performance."
- — Chip Hornsby, Former Group Chief Executive, Wolseley PLC
In today’s distribution company, you need people, systems, and structure. You need to constantly improve your own management skills, while also managing sometimes tense relationships with customers and suppliers who have ever-increasing demands.
Authors Tim Horan and Steve Deist introduce you to each of the five fundamentals of successful sales management. These five fundamentals are not theoretical musings. They are based on years of practical experience. Why do the authors boil it down to only five fundamentals? They do this for two reasons:
- Five fundamentals are easier to remember than 45.
- Everything else that an effective sales manager in the wholesale distribution industry needs to know flows from these five fundamentals.
Read the theories and apply the practical ideas found in 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Sales Manager. Above all, use this book as a foundation for your journey to becoming an effective, high-performing sales manager.
About the Authors
Tim Horaninfo page
Tim joined IRCG as a Partner in 2005 after leaving a distribution career spanning more than 25 years. Horan spent the last 15 years as President and CEO of a beverage alcohol distribution company. He works with CEOs and other members of senior management in the areas of organization development and design. His recent role at IRCG was to serve as a primary researcher and coauthor for this book.
Steve Deistinfo page
Steve has more than 20 years of experience in the wholesale distribution and supply chain arenas. In addition to his consulting work, he is a highly rated speaker, trainer, and board director. He is Indian River Consulting Groupís strategic planning specialist and manages the firmís channel consulting projects for manufacturers that sell through distribution.
Why NAW Institute Publications Are Different
NAW Institute for Distribution Excellence conducts research into strategic management issues affecting the wholesale distribution industry. Our research is conducted with best practice wholesaler-distributors, and we publish leading-edge research studies with practical application for wholesale distribution firms of all sizes and across all lines of trade.
Order Softcover Books or E-Books!
- Facing the Forces of Change®: Reimagining Distribution in a Connected World Find out more »
- Getting the Most Out of CRM: Best Practices for Wholesaler-Distributors Find out more »
- 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Branch Manager, Second Edition Find out more »
- Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors: What’s the Right Plan? Find out more »
- In Search of the Perfect Customer: Cost-to-Serve for Distributors Find out more »
- Taking Charge of Distribution Sales: 9 Proven Skills to Lead and Manage Your Sales Team Find out more »
- Facing the Forces of Change®: Decisive Actions for an Uncertain Economy Find out more »