The Acquisitive Distributor: 4 Keys to Success When Buying a Wholesale Distribution Business
Brent R. Grover
- *Quantity discounts:
- 2-15 items: 15%
- 16-30 items: 20%
- 31-100 items: 30%
- 101-250 items: 40%
- 251+ items: 50%
As today’s economy continues to present challenges, some distributors are looking into growing their business through acquisitions. The Acquisitive Distributor, by Brent R. Grover, will help you better understand how successful acquisitive distributors operate. The research behind this book includes a study of hundreds of acquisitions of distributors by hundreds of acquirers. The author interviewed more than 50 acquisitive distributors, as well as advisers and other M&A experts. He wrote this book with two basic objectives in mind: to find the best practices behind deals that work and to unveil the "worst" practices behind acquisitions that don’t succeed.
Save 15% when you order together with these other best sellers by Brent Grover: In Search of the Perfect Customer: Cost-to-Serve for Distributors and Strategic Pricing for Distributors: Tools and Rules for Building Higher Margins.
Read Extended Description »
What Readers Have to Say
- "I have been involved in many distribution acquisitions for public and private companies, both buying and selling, spanning 22 years and two different lines of trade. Brentís work is an excellent primer for the smaller distributor thinking of adopting acquisition as part of a growth strategy and a useful reminder to those of us who have been down the road many times."
- — Mark Kramer, President and CEO, Laird Plastics
- "We are interested in acquisitions, and The Acquisitive Distributor will be invaluable as we go through each process. I am impressed with how easy this book is to read, and the fact that it directly relates to our business as a medium-size distributor."
- — Eric Dillon, Vice President of Operations, Dillon Supply Co.
The distribution industry has been at or near the top of merger and acquisition (M&A) activity for the past 10 years, and there are indications that a high level of distribution M&A will continue for the foreseeable future.
The Acquisitive Distributor takes the first close look at distributor M&A in the United States. It asks and answers three extremely important questions:
- What is so unusual about buying a distribution business?
- What are some of the special considerations when buying an owner-managed business?
- Why do so many acquisitions of distributors fail to meet the buyers’ expectations?
In addition, a special chapter discusses how the seller of a wholesale distribution business can help ensure a beneficial deal.
The research behind this book includes a study of hundreds of acquisitions of distributors by hundreds of acquirers. The author interviewed more than 50 acquisitive distributors, as well as advisors and other M&A experts. He had two basic objectives in mind: to find the "best" practices behind deals that work, and to unveil the "worst" practices behind acquisitions that don’t succeed.
The author's journey led him to focus on four deal-making phases used by all acquirers: strategy, negotiation, due diligence, and integration. He has isolated the processes used in each of the four phases and pinpoints specific steps that predict ultimate success or failure in acquiring owner-managed distribution businesses.
The Acquisitive Distributor will help you grow your distribution business by better understanding how successful acquisitive distributors operate.
About the Author
Brent R. Groverinfo page
Brent is Managing Partner of Evergreen Consulting, LLC and a Fellow of the NAW Institute for Distribution Excellence. He serves as an adviser to the distribution channel on strategic planning, mergers and acquisitions, and profit improvement. He also serves as a director of several companies and is a popular speaker at wholesale distribution industry gatherings.
Why NAW Institute Publications Are Different
NAW Institute for Distribution Excellence conducts research into strategic management issues affecting the wholesale distribution industry. Our research is conducted with best practice wholesaler-distributors, and we publish leading-edge research studies with practical application for wholesale distribution firms of all sizes and across all lines of trade.
Order Softcover Books or E-Books!
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change in Disruptive Times Find out more »
- Facing the Forces of Change®: Reimagining Distribution in a Connected World Find out more »
- Getting the Most Out of CRM: Best Practices for Wholesaler-Distributors Find out more »
- 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Branch Manager, Second EditionFind out more »