Sales and Marketing Optimization: Developing Competitive Value Propositions in Distribution
Senthil Gunasekaran, Pradip Krishnadevarajan, F. Barry Lawrence, Ph.D.
- *Quantity discounts:
- 2-15 items: 15%
- 16-30 items: 20%
- 31-100 items: 30%
- 101-250 items: 40%
- 251+ items: 50%
Take a few minutes to listen to Barry Lawrence of Texas A&M University describe the first-of-its-kind research study, Sales and Marketing Optimization: Developing Competitive Value Propositions in Distribution.
Sales and Marketing Optimization: Developing Competitive Value Propositions in Distribution is a first-of-its-kind, best practices study that focuses on aligning customer needs, sales force priorities, and wholesaler-distributor objectives to maximize value creation. This study speaks to the critical business issues all wholesaler-distributors face in leading and growing their organizations. As the economy continues to struggle, there is no more important time than right now for distribution management teams to read this book!
Sales and Marketing Optimization is jam-packed with
- 30 best practices from actual wholesaler-distributors
- 60 action steps that your firm can implement immediately
- 122 examples from wholesaler-distributors across many lines of trade!
What makes this book so different from classic sales books that focus on "personal selling" tactics is that it examines sales and marketing for distributors from a much broader perspective in terms of sales and marketing strategy, processes, and more importantly, their connection to shareholder value and customer service. Included with this book is a separate, over-sized Sales and Marketing Framework wall map to help you follow how sales and marketing business processes and financial drivers are linked to enhance shareholder value.
With today’s new economic environment representing more volatility and uncertainty, supplier and customer relationships have become more complex. Every wholesaler-distributor’s value proposition must adapt to the new economy by understanding sales and marketing functions at a deeper level. Putting a narrow focus on selling as “putting more feet on the street” and marketing as “designing new brochures” can no longer be the norm. The new horizon demands a more cohesive approach to sales and marketing, from strategy and processes to its impact on shareholder value. Educating your staff about these sales and marketing best practices will provide them with tools, knowledge, and motivation to establish and sustain this important business process for continually improving your shareholder value.
This book is a collaboration of the NAW Institute and Texas A&M, two leaders in wholesale distribution education and training.
Save 15% when you order together with these other best sellers from the authors at Texas A&M: Customer Stratification: Best Practices for Boosting Profitability and Optimizing Distributor Profitability: Best Practices to a Stronger Bottom Line.
Read Extended Description »
What Readers Have to Say
- "I am blown away by the scope of this Sales and Marketing Optimization book and the depth of knowledge and real-world experience it contains. I only wish I had a reference like this at the beginning of my career. Fortunately, I have it now and it’s not too late to do something with it! This book is very actionable with constant emphasis on measurable results at the shareholder and stakeholder levels. This is simply the best sales and marketing book for distributors that I have ever read!"
- — Byron Potter, Vice Chairman and CEO, Dallas Wholesale Builders Supply, Inc.
- "The framework in the Sales and Marketing Optimization book has delivered a highly detailed roadmap in which our company can design, build, and execute against our future company vision. Nowhere have I seen such a concise approach to mapping out so many best practices and processes around what is becoming one of the most important activities in wholesale distribution…sales and marketing."
- — Martin Naeger, Senior Manager–Business Planning and Development, L&W Supply
- "Today’s competitive environment requires that management make better data-driven decisions. Sales and Marketing Optimization will map for you the process to make better, informed decisions. We can no longer afford to treat the sales process as an art; it requires a structured approach and this publication will provide you with the tools to accomplish that in your organization."
- — Joseph Nettemeyer, President and CEO, Valin Corporation
Write a review »
This groundbreaking research study presents a comprehensive sales and marketing framework. It shows how to create your company vision and mission; deconstruct your sales and marketing strategy components; and follow your individual sales and marketing business processes, best practices, and metrics. It also shows you how to connect these processes to shareholder value through four financial drivers—cash flow, growth, asset efficiency, and profitability.
This study is divided into three parts. Part 1 presents an all-inclusive sales and marketing framework along with motivations and current trends. Part 2 focuses on bringing the right focus and alignment by deconstructing key sales and marketing strategy components—market segmentation, target market selection, and value proposition development. In Part 3, the sales and marketing processes are defined and best practices for each are listed. A special emphasis is placed on making the important connection between sales and marketing processes and shareholder value by leveraging the concepts delivered in two best-selling research studies, Optimizing Distributor Profitability and Customer Stratification.
Each chapter presents a wholesaler-distributor real-world example that identifies and implements best practices and the impact on shareholder value. The concepts and methodologies are presented in the language of business with the help of eye-catching exhibits. This book concludes with a road map listing the “plan of action” along with suggestions for implementing the sales and marketing framework and the many best practices in your firm. Included with the book is a separate, over-sized Sales and Marketing Framework wall map to help you follow how sales and marketing business processes and financial drivers are linked to enhance shareholder value.
The many best practices found in this book—market segmentation, value proposition, business development, sales process, and sales force stratification—are critical, cutting-edge business processes that every wholesaler-distributor should adopt and execute well so you can adapt to the new realities in today’s economy and still achieve competitive advantage.
About the Authors
Senthil Gunasekaraninfo page
Senthil is an industry adviser, business manager, leading practitioner, and researcher at the Global Supply Chain Lab at Texas A&M University. Experienced across multiple lines of trade, he designs and directs industry projects focused on implementing best practices for wholesaler-distributors. He is an author of three books, and is an APICS Certified Supply Chain Professional.
Pradip Krishnadevarajaninfo page
Pradip is a founding member of the Global Supply Chain Lab at Texas A&M University. He is an industry adviser, business manager, researcher, and author of three books. Experienced in diverse channels, he assists wholesaler-distributors with best practices, business decisions, education, and technical support.
F. Barry Lawrence, Ph.D.info page
Barry is Director of the Industrial Distribution Program and the Global Supply Chain Lab at Texas A&M University. He is a Fellow of the NAW Institute for Distribution Excellence and an author of four books on distributor competitiveness. He serves as an adviser to the distribution channel on supply chain management, and is a frequent speaker for distribution associations and private firms on a wide range of supply chain topics.
Why NAW Institute Publications Are Different
NAW Institute for Distribution Excellence conducts research into strategic management issues affecting the wholesale distribution industry. Our research is conducted with best practice wholesaler-distributors, and we publish leading-edge research studies with practical application for wholesale distribution firms of all sizes and across all lines of trade.
Order Softcover Books or E-Books!
- 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Branch Manager, Second Edition Find out more »
- Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors: What’s the Right Plan? Find out more »
- Facing the Forces of Change®: Decisive Actions for an Uncertain Economy Find out more »
- In Search of the Perfect Customer: Cost-to-Serve for Distributors Find out more »
- Taking Charge of Distribution Sales: 9 Proven Skills to Lead and Manage Your Sales Team Find out more »