Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors: What’s the Right Plan?
Mike Emerson, Steve Deist
- *Quantity discounts:
- 2-15 items: 15%
- 16-30 items: 20%
- 31-100 items: 30%
- 101-250 items: 40%
- 251+ items: 50%
Order your softcover books above.
Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors: What’s the Right Plan? is designed for top wholesale distribution executives and sales managers who are looking for the answer to this question: “How can I get my sales reps to just do what I want them to do?”
If you are looking for a how-to book on creating and implementing an aligned and effective sales compensation program, this book is for you. Authors Mike Emerson and Steve Deist have filled this book with actionable steps, detailed information and formulas on sales compensation structures and mechanisms, and plenty of case studies from the front lines of the wholesale distribution industry. They keep the focus on maximizing the financial return from the field sales force. They describe a series of proven steps that have worked with other distributors, so they should work for you!
This book is not about theories; it’s about practical experience and expert guidance for surviving and growing in today’s world. Read Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors before engaging in a pay plan change or making any sales management-related investment. It will help you think more clearly about your situation and goals—and may challenge some of your assumptions.
Save 15% when you order together with these other best sellers from the authors at Indian River Consulting Group: Working at Cross-Purposes: How Distributors and Manufacturers Can Manage Conflict Successfully, Value Creation Strategies for Wholesaler-Distributors, What's Your Plan? Smart Salesforce Compensation in Wholesale Distribution, and 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Sales Manager.
Read Extended Description »
What Readers Have to Say
- "Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors is a must read for any distribution executive looking for new paths to revenue growth. It covers leading-edge compensation design principles and shows you how to tackle the prerequisite ‘big picture’ strategic and structural issues."
- — Allan Dragone, CEO, Unisource Worldwide, Inc.
- "Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors is an excellent book on sales compensation design, but calling it a compensation book does not do it justice. It provides innovative ideas on compensation structures and does a thorough job covering the pros and cons of the approaches most commonly used by distributors. However, the book’s true uniqueness is that it looks at sales compensation in a broader context. It eventually gets to the formulas, but not after it poses the bigger and often harder questions on strategy and structure. This book is a must read for any distribution executive looking for growth — especially those executives considering making changes to their sales compensation programs."
- — Kevin R. Vasquez, Chairman, President, and CEO, Butler Schein Animal Health, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO, Butler Schein Animal Health, Inc.
- "I just finished reading Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors on Sunday for my first read-through overview and I will start over this week on my deep dive into it. I’m a total believer and we are doing the hard upfront work to get our strategy and position correct first. I’ve been a student of Indian River Consulting Group for a long time and I say to them, ‘Keep up the good work!’"
- — Lane Garrett, President, Power Bolt and Tool
Write a review »
Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors: What’s the Right Plan? covers these key areas:
- Picking the right tool: You’ll know when incentive changes are likely to be effective and when they are not.
- Getting strategic clarity: You’ll ensure that the right foundation is in place for success.
- Aligning the sales force organization: You’ll get the right talent in the right role based on your market opportunities.
- Incentive structure fundamentals: You’ll understand the risks and benefits of absolute and relative performance factors.
- Relative performance techniques: You’ll learn how world-class sales organizations solve the most vexing incentive program challenges.
- Implementation guidelines: You’ll have all the tips and tricks for successful change management.
About the Authors
Mike Emersoninfo page
Mike began his career at Indian River Consulting Group (IRCG) in 1997 and has worked with hundreds of distributors and manufacturers of all sizes and within many lines of trade. He has managed a broad array of IRCG projects. His main focus areas include: compensation design, strategy facilitation, market research, and data modeling and analysis. Mike writes extensively on distributor and marketing channel topics and is frequently quoted on contemporary issues.
Steve Deistinfo page
Steve has more than 20 years of experience in the wholesale distribution and supply chain arenas. In addition to his consulting work, he is a highly rated speaker, trainer, and board director. He is Indian River Consulting Group’s strategic planning specialist and manages the firm’s channel consulting projects for manufacturers that sell through distribution.
Why NAW Institute Publications Are Different
NAW Institute for Distribution Excellence conducts research into strategic management issues affecting the wholesale distribution industry. Our research is conducted with best practice wholesaler-distributors, and we publish leading-edge research studies with practical application for wholesale distribution firms of all sizes and across all lines of trade.
Order Softcover Books or E-Books!
- Getting the Most Out of CRM: Best Practices for Wholesaler-Distributors Find out more »
- 5 Fundamentals for the Wholesale Distribution Branch Manager, Second Edition Find out more »
- Effective Sales Incentive Design for Distributors: What’s the Right Plan? Find out more »
- In Search of the Perfect Customer: Cost-to-Serve for Distributors Find out more »
- Taking Charge of Distribution Sales: 9 Proven Skills to Lead and Manage Your Sales Team Find out more »
- Facing the Forces of Change®: Decisive Actions for an Uncertain Economy Find out more »